Factory Manager — Victoria, BC
Factory Manager - Full Time
The Ecologyst Factory is a unique location operating our production and repairs processes out of the head office and factory space. The Ecologyst Production Manager is responsible for all aspects of production operations, team member support, people development and internal learning opportunities. Your main objective is to engage and develop your team and build the Factory manufacturing processes into a well oiled machine. We have the opportunity to create a lasting impact in our community by building products close to those we serve, and to build a closer relationship between the wearer and the maker. The Factory Manager is a highly collaborative leader who drives the overall operations strategy for the factory and production, and is 100% responsible for the highest level of team engagement and experience. You are detail oriented, and bring a positive approach to any challenge.
We are on a mission to disrupt the current clothing manufacturing industry, and are working to create one of the cleanest supply chains in North America. We started our own factory in 2018, and have since moved into what is now the head office and factory space. You will be located in the central “heart” of the business and responsible for leading the team to craft quality, long-lasting products with integrity. We value transparency, efficiency, and collaboration. People at Ecologyst are incredibly passionate about their work, how it contributes to the larger picture, and are always working to leave it better than we found it.
- Manage all activities and operations of personnel who process and manufacture products in the Ecologyst factory
- Set the standard for efficient machine operations offering coaching and best practices on an ongoing basis to the team
- Hire, onboard, train and develop sewing machine operators with the Ecologyst brand ethos and through the Payworks HR system
- Consistently evaluate the efficiency of operators with stakeholders including management and the operators themselves, and clearly communicate any updates to expectations
- Enter all new employee information into our HR operating system, Payworks, to ensure all employee information is up to date and that proper procedures are followed
- Plan and order equipment and supplies as needed for each production, as well as develop a growth strategy for the resources required as we take more production in-house
- Ensure machinery and equipment are adjusted, as required
- Responsible for overall quality control and manufacturing efficiency
- Digitize Operational Efficiencies - Translate task efficiencies recorded on paper forms into streamlined digital working documents
- Maintain Precision in Pay Structure Documentation - Take ownership of the pay structure documentation, ensuring it remains current and accurate
- Ensure compliance with occupational health and safety standards
- Create efficient work processes to meet deadlines and facilitate coordinated efforts with manufacturing partners and other departments
- Calculate how many sewing machine operators are required and build your pipeline appropriately - based on 100% efficiency, per operation, and per style on orders cut and bundled in order to meet daily quotas
- Develop and assess the factory schedule on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis to strategically plan and optimize production activities
- Efficiently assign operators with relevant skills to corresponding tasks, ensuring optimal task-team alignment
- Perform quality checks on each operator in your department throughout the day
- Solve work-related problems and recommend measures to increase productivity
- Ensure all quality issues are addressed and corrections are made for improvement
- Follow through with training for each operator to ensure they have a clear understanding of how to perform the operation within acceptable tolerance
- Prepare manufacturing reports to management
- Review the approved production sample and specifications before beginning production for each released purchase order
- Provide a safe and tidy environment within department and manufacturing floor
- Communicate and live into the Ecologyst core values, and recognize the team when they do the same
- Duties may change from time to time based on business needs
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Experience in a leadership role
- Experience in garment production
- Must be able to deal effectively with diverse group of workers and their unique needs
- Must be familiar with sewing machine operations to do construction from start to finish with a variety of fabrics and finishing techniques
- Comfortable with hiring, onboarding and training new employees
- Must be able to speak English fluently
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Leadership and interpersonal skills
- Able to prioritize and be proactive, handling issues in a calm and professional manner
- Able to stand or sit for extended periods of time, and lift boxes of up to 30 lbs
- Comfortable using cutting machine equipment
- May require ascending and descending stairs
Experience comes in many forms. If this description approximately matches your skills, please apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Indigenous candidates and candidates residing within our local communities are highly encouraged to apply.
Every employee's responsibility is to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Location: Lekwungen Territory
2110 Store Street, Victoria, BC
Minimum Experience: Manager
The expected range for salary at the time of posting is $25 - $30 / hour based on experience.
How to apply:
Please send an email to email@example.com with your cover letter and resume, or you can stop by the head office to meet the team at 2110 Store Street between the hours of 9am and 5pm Monday - Friday.
We look forward to hearing from you!